This page serves as a living document to catalog the things that I use in my tech life. I love trying out new tools and am always looking for ways to improve my workflow.
Last Updated 17 Feb, 2021
OS and Enhancements
- Windows 10 – I’ve used Windows all my life and run Dev Channel Insiders Builds
- Windows PowerToys, especially the launcher (which replaced Wox), I also love the color picker which comes in very handy in my design work
- ARSClip – an incredible clipboard manager
- Chocolatey to manage most of my software installs and updates. I also use Winget, but prefer Chocolaty because of the upgrade all command
- Windows Terminal
- Greenshot for all of my screenshots
- HoneyView for viewing images quickly
- I have a Desktop that runs throughout the day that contains all of our photos and videos
- I do use DropBox to copy images from my phone into the Camera Uploads folder, then copy them down to the Desktop’s local drives
- I use FreeFileSync to make nightly backups of photos and videos to external drives (using a Scheduled Task that invokes a mirror through the command line).
- I run BackBlaze for off-site backup for the photos
- I also run Google Photos and Amazon’s Photos for redundancy, although now that Google is charging for storage in June 2021, I may reconsider.
- Microsoft OneDrive is what I use for my cloud storage. Paying $2 per month for 100 gigs is perfect for my needs (and a big reason why I don’t use Dropbox).
Development, Design, and Creativity Tools
- Visual Studio Code (I enjoy running the Insiders Build), using the Cobalt2 Theme. Some of my favorite extensions include:
- Azure Data Studio has quickly become my go-to SQL interface, although I still spin up SSMS from time to time, but mainly to work with database backups
- I write most of my Markdown documentation write in VS Code, but I use Typora if I’m wanting a WYSISYG experience
- DrawIO is what I use for my diagrams
- Figma for my wireframing and prototypes, although I’ve been playing with Adobe XD
- Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere
- Lightroom Classic to process and edit my photos
- Reaper as my DAW for recording drum tracks, I use a Tascam US1800 which has since been discontinued
Productivity and Collaboration
- I heavily use OneNote for my day-to-day note-taking, as it’s easy to group and organize my different meetings and projects.
- We use Microsoft Teams at work and I’m a big fan of the tool. I use Slack heavily for my band’s collaboration. I have Discord installed, but my subscribed communities are too active for me to keep up with conversations, and don’t find it as useful.
- Todoist has been my go-to for personal task management, I’ve stayed in the free tier. I use Trello to track band tasks and have an integration in Slack to share tasks progress with others.
- Brave is my browser, moving on from Firefox. I also use the Chromium-based Edge for work, keeping my professional and personal bookmarks/settings separate.
- I use KeePassXC for my work-related password management, but
LastPassBitWarden as my password manager since LastPass has changed their free tier (BitWarden premium is a far more competitive price).
Mobile & Tablet
I’ve been using iOS devices since 2015, I was using Android from 2008-2015. I use far too many apps to list them all, but some gems I’d like to highlight include:
- Tweetbot for Twitter
- Pocket Casts for Podcasts
- Pocket to tag interesting content, Pinner for saving bookmarks to PinBoard
- Halide for Camera, editing photos in Lightroom Mobile
- Life360 to keep tabs on my family
- Panels for Comics Reading, also subscribing to Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite
- Reelgood for figuring out which streaming service offers my content
- Anylist (with Google Assistant integration) for shopping list management